Account Safety Guide

chillins

M I N E H U T  C O M M U N I T Y  G U I D E

HOW TO KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT SAFE

LAST UPDATED: 06/01/2021

General Information
As a Moderator on Minehut it's our responsibility to ensure that everyone's experiences within Minehut are fulfilled to the fullest and in the most positive of forms. Account breaches aren't something we have to deal with often on Minehut but like in every community these things can & have occurred, preventing them from occurring going forward is my objective. Within this guide I'm going to be covering everything from how accounts get compromised to how you can protect your account from being breached and keeping yourself safe online. Let's get started.

How do accounts get Compromised?
Phishing:
 Phishing is a type of cyberhack that uses E-mails, SMS phone, or social media to lure a victim into giving out their personal information unknowingly. Fortunately, they are quite easy to identify. Here is what Phishing attacks usually entail.
Asks for sensitive Information » Legitimate business's will not ever request personal information/will not send a link outside of their domain such as Passwords or emails.
Uses a different domain » For example, a message from Amazon would come from @amazon.com 
Contains links that don't match the domain » Hover over the link to see if it will take you to the correct place. Make sure it's a "https" link.
Uses poor spelling & grammar » official messages/companies would never send grammatically incorrect messages.

Cracking: Cracking Accounts is a method used to breach users passwords. It basically is a system that simulates tons of password combinations in order to access what they're targeting. 

Creating a strong Password
Creating a strong password is a necessity in order to combat hackers gaining access to your account. To generate strong passwords we advise visiting this website here. You can also use applications such as Dashlane/LastPass to privately store passwords. Creating a strong password usually means that it's going to be something difficult to remember which is why a secure service is needed to store them.

Below are our recommendations to make your password stronger.

Use a unique password for each account 

Spoiler

If one of your accounts happen to get breached this method can contradict your other accounts from being breached as more than likely the hacker will target more than just one platform.

Use lengthy passwords

Spoiler

We advise users to create passwords between 14-20 characters long. The more characters your password includes the less risk that your account could become compromised. Refrain from using memorable keyboard paths such as something as simple as "Password1"  these accounts are the most likely to be breached as it's a common generic password. When creating a password try use different symbols & characters for an extra level of protection. An example of a good password is "$up3rC4ulDroN202014"

Don't include personal information in passwords

Spoiler

Using personal information such as birthdates, names, where you live etc are all strongly advised against using. These can easily be traced back and make a threat through social media which is why its strong advised against.

Keeping your Minehut Panel/Server Protected
It's common for multiple users in Minehut to share their panels with people they trust in order to speed up the efficiency on server development or so a friend of theirs can access a world without them having to be present. When adding a user to your panel please make sure you fully trust that user, if a user has access to your panel account the damage can be devastating if they have bad intentions. In the scenario that your panel gets breached and is being used maliciously then we strongly advise you changing your password instantly so the player loses access to the account.

Granting players/staff on your server OP is a normal occurrence, but can indisputably end up destroying the server and the hours of work you put into it. Luckily Minehut has ways to counter act this. Firstly, make sure you trust the user you're granting op towards. Know what their intentions are and try to keep a close eye on them if they start acting up suspiciously. If you believe they're going to do something malicious directed towards your server use these commands instantly:

• /deop <username> & /ban <username>

These commands allow you to quickly get rid of the player of your server, say for example the user managed to destroy parts of your server and banned you in the process. What you would need to do is go to your console and type /pardon <your name> and follow the commands above within the console. Then with Minehut's new Backup feature you can now restore your server to how it was before the attack happened.

Creating a Backup

Spoiler

It's essential that you do this as a precaution. You cannot restore servers unless a backup was created before the grief. To create a backup go to the Minehut Panel > Back Ups section > then click the "Back Up Button" you can also replace the Backup with a fresher one later on if needed.

Restoring a Server

Spoiler

Restoring a server to its previous form is quite simple. Go to the Back Up section > Find the backup you want to restore the server to > Click the "Restore Server" button > restart your server and your backup should be applied.

Core Protect

Spoiler

Another one of Minehuts convenient plugins would be CoreProtect which is accessible to all users. CoreProtect is a dynamic plugin useful in a lot of situations. This plugin allows you to rollback the server to a specific time with simple commands. Quite frankly, the plugin entails so many useful features that it would take me quite some time to direct everyone on it. Luckily thanks to the support team we have a community FAQ regarding this plugin which consists of all its beneficial uses. If you would like to view this FAQ visit the link below.

FAQ | How to use CoreProtect. - Community FAQ - Minehut Forums

Conclusion
I really hope you learned something from this guide. If you would like to see any other guides feel free to comment them below. If you believe I left out any vital information feel free to contact me on discord @chillins#6666 and I will consider adding it to this guide. Remember, in the rare scenario your account was Compromised, make every effort to reach out to a support service to re-possess the account. If you find valid evidence of a user breaching your account don't hesitate to submit a report to our forums where our staff will do everything they can to assist the situation.

Make a report here
https://forums.minehut.com/application/form/6-player-reports/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

𝖈𝖍𝖎𝖑𝖎𝖓𝖘

VhxEDBl.png.529878f2f7856fdae0d911cde8ce12d1.png
Server Rules  Staff Applications  News & Updates
Reports  Appeals

Retired Moderator (June 30th 2020 - May 17th 2021)

Amazing guide Vocallity 👏

• Thanks 2

In-Game Name - SilentF1ame

Discord - SilentFlame#9811

-------------------------------------------------------

[Default] 14 February 2017

[VIP] 21 September 2020

[Helper] 26 November 2020

[Moderator] 2 February 2021

[<3] 17 May 2021

-------------------------------------------------------

40 minutes ago, Vocallity said:

[Account Safety - Guide]
by Vocallity

General Information
As a Moderator on Minehut it's our responsibility to ensure that everyone's experiences within Minehut are fulfilled to the fullest and in the most positive of forms. Account breaches aren't something we have to deal with often on Minehut but like in every community these things can & have occurred, preventing them from occurring going forward is my objective. Within this guide I'm going to be covering everything from how accounts get compromised to how you can protect your account from being breached and keeping yourself safe online. Lets get started.

How do accounts get Compromised?
Phishing:
 Phishing is a type of cyberhack that uses E-mails, SMS phone, or social media to lure a victim into giving out their personal information unknowingly. Fortunately, they are quite easy to identify. Here is what Phishing attacks usually entail.
Asks for sensitive Information » Legitimate business's wont ever request personal information/will not send a link outside of their domain such as Passwords or emails.
Uses a different domain » For example, a message from amazon would come from @amazon.com 
Contains links that don't match the domain » Hover over the link to see if it will take you to the correct place. Make sure its a "https" link.
Uses poor spelling & grammar » official messages/companies would never send grammatically incorrect messages.

Cracking: Cracking Accounts is a method used to breach users passwords. It basically is a system that simulates tons of password combinations in order to access what they're targeting. 

Creating a strong Password
Creating a strong password is a necessity in order to combat hackers gaining access to your account. To generate strong passwords we advise visiting this website here. You can also use applications such as Dashlane/LastPass to privately store passwords. Creating a strong password usually means that it's going to be something difficult to remember which is why a secure service is needed to store them.

Below are our recommendations to make your password stronger.

Use a unique password for each account 
If one of your accounts happen to get breached this method can contradict your other accounts from being breached as more than likely the hacker will target more than just one platform.

Use lengthy passwords
We advise users to create passwords between 14-20 characters long. The more characters your password includes the less risk that your account could become compromised. Refrain from using memorable keyboard paths such as something as simple as "Password1"  these accounts are the most likely to be breached as it's a common generic password. When creating a password try use different symbols & characters for an extra level of protection. An example of a good password is "$up3rC4ulDroN202014"

Don't include personal information in passwords
Using personal information such as birthdates, names, where you live etc are all strongly advised against using. These can easily be traced back and make a threat through social media which is why its strong advised against.

Keeping your Minehut Panel/Server Protected
It's common for multiple users in Minehut to share their panels with people they trust in order to speed up the efficiency on server development or so a friend of theirs can access a world without them having to be present. When adding a user to your panel please make sure you fully trust that user, if a user has access to your panel account the damage can be devastating if they have bad intentions. In the scenario that your panel gets breached and is being used maliciously then we strongly advise you changing your password instantly so the player loses access to the account.

Granting players/staff on your server OP is a normal occurrence, but can indisputably end up destroying the server and the hours of work you put into it. Luckily Minehut has ways to counter act this. Firstly, make sure you trust the user you're granting op towards. Know what their intentions are and try to keep a close eye on them if they start acting up suspiciously. If you believe they're going to do something malicious directed towards your server use these commands instantly:

• /deop <username> & /ban <username>

These commands allow you to quickly get rid of the player of your server, say for example the user managed to destroy parts of your server and banned you in the process. What you would need to do is go to your console and type /pardon <your name> and follow the commands above within the console. Then with Minehut's new Backup feature you can now restore your server to how it was before the attack happened.

Creating a Backup
It's essential that you do this as a precaution. You cannot restore servers unless a backup was created before the grief. To create a backup go to the Minehut Panel > Back Ups section > then click the "Back Up Button" you can also replace the Backup with a fresher one later on if needed.

Restoring a Server
Restoring a server to its previous form is quite simple. Go to the Back Up section > Find the backup you want to restore the server to > Click the "Restore Server" button > restart your server and your backup should be applied.

Core Protect
Another one of Minehuts convenient plugins would be CoreProtect which is accessible to all users. CoreProtect is a dynamic plugin useful in a lot of situations. This plugin allows you to rollback the server to a specific time with simple commands. Quite frankly, the plugin entails so many useful features that it would take me quite some time to direct everyone on it. Luckily thanks to the support team we have a community FAQ regarding this plugin which consists of all its beneficial uses. If you would like to view this FAQ visit the link below.

FAQ | How to use CoreProtect. - Community FAQ - Minehut Forums

Conclusion
I really hope you learned something from this guide. If you would like to see any other guides feel free to comment them below. If you believe I left out any vital information feel free to contact me on discord @Vocallity#0001 and I will consider adding it to this guide. Remember, in the rare scenario your account was Compromised, make every effort to reach out to a support service to re-possess the account. If you find valid evidence of a user breaching your account don't hesitate to submit a report to our forums where our staff will do everything they can to assist the situation.

Make a report here
https://forums.minehut.com/application/form/6-player-reports/

POG guide, I would 100% redirect someone to this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm just a known player who been playing since the 24 July 2019.

Please don't DM me for support, go here (if you don't mind waiting) or join Minehut's Discord (which is more active) if you need assistance.

Why isn't this an official document.

Founder - Minehut.xyz

The leading Minehut support website. We aim to provide top quality tutorials, provide answers to top questions, and help in any way we can. Our site is community driven, and we will continue to make it better and better.

Support | 28/08/20 -13/09/20

Senior Support | 13/09/20 - 19/10/20

forums.gif.5d3db2db4a05c9465b84fa9bf0293df4.gif

So how can I keep my account safe

Graphic Designer - Skript Developer - Professional Builder - Content Creator

Been on Minehut since January 2018. Throughout my time here I've mastered the skills you see above. I make free logos, banners, and server art for users on Minehut. I'm a proficient Skript developer. I'm also really good at building, you can see my portfolio by clicking here. Feel free to say hi if you see me somewhere 🙂

Amethyst Studios Discord

Remarkable thread on how to keep your account secure. There's so many issues online nowadays, one of the major topics being accounts being stolen. This is definitely something that players should be directed to.

• Thanks 1

stepping on legos 24/7

Discord --> @snufs#0001

OWNER of Species

Amazing guide. Well done @Vocallity. Hope to see more posts like this in the future! 

• Thanks 1

𝚄𝚗𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚍

𝔻𝕚𝕤𝕔𝕠𝕣𝕕: @𝕌𝕟𝕥𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕕#𝟘𝟘𝟘𝟙

News & Updates  Rules • Helper Application

Reports • Appeals

𝚂𝚝𝚊𝚏𝚏 𝚘𝚗 𝙼𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚑𝚞𝚝 𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝙹𝚞𝚗𝚎 𝟹𝟶𝚝𝚑, 𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟶

On 11/29/2020 at 11:23 PM, FinalMoments said:

Remarkable thread on how to keep your account secure. There's so many issues online nowadays, one of the major topics being accounts being stolen. This is definitely something that players should be directed to.

On 11/29/2020 at 11:23 PM, Untreated said:

Amazing guide. Well done @Vocallity. Hope to see more posts like this in the future! 

Appreciate it guys! Feel free to leave suggestions for anything you want me to do below.

• Thanks 1

𝖈𝖍𝖎𝖑𝖎𝖓𝖘

VhxEDBl.png.529878f2f7856fdae0d911cde8ce12d1.png
Server Rules  Staff Applications  News & Updates
Reports  Appeals

Retired Moderator (June 30th 2020 - May 17th 2021)

• 3 months later...

🔐 Topic locked.

Please do not reply on threads that have been inactive for over a month.

Discord - tarna256

In-game name - _Tarna_

Website - https://tarna.dev
Paste Site: https://paste.tarna.dev

---------------------------------------------------------

[VIP] - 7/27/2020

Community Support - 7/8/20 | 11/3/20

Helper  - 11/3/20 - 2/21/21

Moderator - 2/21/21 - 5/17/21

❤️ - 5/17/21 - now

Moderator - 12/20/22 - now

---------------------------------------------------------

image.png.70849a9b84e0347ce107b8e3eaee312c.pngimage.png.2111009afbd8bef10966ba9ede35a199.png