How to read logs

DeltaRays

Question

After you have downloaded the latest.log file, you can open it with a text editor (such as notepad).

This is an example of a line in latest.log:

[11:57:30] [Server thread/INFO]: Debug logging is disabled

The first section encapsulated in [] shows the date when that line was logged.

The second section explains what the log line is about. What you usually need to look at is the section after Server thread/, in this case it says INFO but in other situations it says WARN or ERROR.
If you're having issues with your server you should search for lines with WARN and ERROR.

These warn|error lines are called "Stack traces", essentially long error messages that are printed by a plugin to inform the user of what went wrong.

This is an example of an error:

[21:38:53] [Server thread/ERROR]: Could not load 'plugins/RankGrantPlus.jar' in folder 'plugins'
org.bukkit.plugin.UnknownDependencyException: Vault
	at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.loadPlugins(SimplePluginManager.java:220) [spigot.jar:git-Spigot-595711b-e8b39d4]
	at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_14_R1.CraftServer.loadPlugins(CraftServer.java:347) [spigot.jar:git-Spigot-595711b-e8b39d4]
	at net.minecraft.server.v1_14_R1.DedicatedServer.init(DedicatedServer.java:194) [spigot.jar:git-Spigot-595711b-e8b39d4]
	at net.minecraft.server.v1_14_R1.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:764) [spigot.jar:git-Spigot-595711b-e8b39d4]

This is pretty easy to understand: It means that the RankGrantPlus plugin wasn't able to load ("startup") because of an UnknownDependencyException: aka there is a plugin that rankgrant+ requires to work that isn't installed, and that plugin is vault.

Another example:

[11:56:54] [Server thread/WARN]: java.lang.NullPointerException
[11:56:54] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.paradoxmc.NetworkManager.Points.PointsAPI.getPoints(PointsAPI.java:28)
[11:56:54] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.paradoxmc.NetworkManager.GizmoManager.ScoreboardManager$1.run(ScoreboardManager.java:40)
[11:56:54] [Server thread/WARN]:     at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_7_R4.scheduler.CraftTask.run(CraftTask.java:71)
[11:56:54] [Server thread/WARN]:     at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_7_R4.scheduler.CraftScheduler.mainThreadHeartbeat(CraftScheduler.java:350)
[11:56:54] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R4.MinecraftServer.v(MinecraftServer.java:641)
[11:56:54] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R4.DedicatedServer.v(DedicatedServer.java:289)
[11:56:54] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R4.MinecraftServer.u(MinecraftServer.java:584)
[11:56:54] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R4.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:490)
[11:56:54] [Server thread/WARN]:     at net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R4.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:628)

Most of the times to find the error source you need to look at the first few lines, here we can understand there is a "NullPointerException" at a function named getPoints of PointsAPI.java on line 28. (PointsAPI.java:28). The getPoints function was ran by ScoreboardManager$1.run

(The rest of the stack trace is from the server software calling the code)

If you have any questions regarding how to read logs/would like me to edit this topic feel free to reply to it.

• Like 2

7 answers to this question

Also, if you're asked to send this to the discord or some other form of help, use https://www.pastebin.com to send it to us!

Founder - Minehut.xyz

The leading Minehut support website. We aim to provide top quality tutorials, provide answers to top questions, and help in any way we can. Our site is community driven, and we will continue to make it better and better.

Support | 28/08/20 -13/09/20

Senior Support | 13/09/20 - 19/10/20

forums.gif.5d3db2db4a05c9465b84fa9bf0293df4.gif

What does: �m�= �0���O�-�4�/`���.V\K�N{B�J���/�:T���=O�9�������S@r���j�9Ӏ�)�7���ʢ�mU;�΍E ��ğ@�"r�kb�T�t�s& �Ls5ť۱a��[$�9��G���}<��]}��o� mean?

1 hour ago, fuzzy_logic said:

What does: �m�= �0���O�-�4�/`���.V\K�N{B�J���/�:T���=O�9�������S@r���j�9Ӏ�)�7���ʢ�mU;�΍E ��ğ@�"r�kb�T�t�s& �Ls5ť۱a��[$�9��G���}<��]}��o� mean?

Please do not necropost.

It seems as if your log file is a bit outdated, and Minehut does not provide support for older log files so that they have better server support overall. If your latest.log file is that way as well, that means it has become corrupted. Create a new post if that is the case.

If I have helped you out in your post or you liked what I posted, please upvote and react to my post! It helps me a lot!

Some Minehut Links:

Server Rules • Staff Applications • News & Updates • Reports • Appeals

Minehut: VIP (07/04/2021 --> Current)
Elestra/Versa Realms: Manager (12/04/2021 --> Current)

If you have any questions contact me!
My Discord: BanditEagle#2481
My Spigot Profile: https://www.spigotmc.org/members/banditeagle.935281/
My IGN: BanditEagle

Reason for lock stated above ^

🔒 Locked

Discord - swirs#0069

In-game name - swiirs

---------------------------------------------------------

[VIP] - July 1st 2020

Support - 9/6/20 | 11/3/20

Helper  - 11/3/20 - 1/10/2021