How to stop GRIEF - Part 2

Mathematiqs

In part 1 of "a griefer's guide to protecting your server", I explained the various different types of griefs and how to protect against each grief, in part 2, I will explain how to make a grief proof server overall. I will be touching on:

-Plugins

-Advice/Griefs

-Preventing vs Fixing

First, let's rate common anti-grief plugins out of 10:

-World guard - 5/10 - Doesn't stop fire, lava, water, lava casts, cobble monsters, tnt cannons, creepers, it's overall very hard to stop all griefs using this plugin. If you add on top that, the fact that sometimes the region isn't fully world guarded, aka sometimes the floor and the ceiling can be griefed, I can't rank it higher than 5/10, unless you have a massive buffer zone, but that's not really viable on survival servers, since the players need wood and won't run for hundreds of blocks if they can just move on to a different server. You need a buffer zone of 150 blocks to be cobble monster proof, and in theory, cobble monsters can grow up to 370 blocks to the sides, altho this is not yet confirmed, 150 blocks stops cobble monsters for now, unless a setup that allows lava to flow for 2 blocks before going down 1 block is discovered/popularized

-Land claims - 7/10 - Stops most common griefs, the only griefs that MIGHT bypass it are nether portal griefs and mob griefs, but that's not it's main weakness/drawback, the main problem with this plugin is the fact that players will usually start with only 100 claim blocks, and even if they have more, they won't make much of a buffer zone, so their builds can still be lava casted and encased in cobblestone, it's still better than world guard since while cobblemonsters can grow into worldguarded regions, they can't grow into land claims.

-Core Protect - 6/10 - While it's excellent for catching the griefer and for fixing the grief, it doesn't stop the grief itself, so if there's no staff on, the griefer will be able to destroy the builds/server for a while

All plugins are decent, no plugin is perfect, but now for the advice:

-Use world guard for servers where the player can't get outside the world guarded region, there's no need for a buffer zone if they can't get lava and place it outside in the first place.

-Use land claims for survival servers, you can use world guard for the spawn, but then you need a buffer zone or to have the spawn on a separate world.

-Get Core Protect on EVERY server type.

-Don't give ANYONE creative unless you really trust them.

-Don't afk on public survival servers, you're gonna get killed and your house will be burned down.

-Public creative servers NEED lava disabled, even if you've got land claims, world guard and core protect, they will surround everything with cobblestone if you do not disable lava, plus some players won't claim their builds and they'll get griefed.

-Preventing vs Fixing:

It's always better to stop the grief before it happens than to have to fix it after everything is destroyed.

Learn your lesson, if you get griefed, improve your grief protection, you don't want to be on the defensive, otherwise, if there's a 30 minute timespan where no staff are on, you're gonna get griefed and no one will be able to fix it. I see so many times where I grief a server by lava casting spawn, then I come back on an alt the next day, and they're still using the same plugins, they're BEGGING to get griefed again.

Rollbacks are great, but they fill up memory and they require staff, it's MUCH better if you can prevent griefs than to have to fix them, when multiple builds get griefed at once, a staff member will have to fix them 1 by 1, this wouldn't ruin your server too much if you have core protect, but if you don't have core protect, there's a 50% chance that when you're done fixing a build after it was lava griefed, your spawn will have been lava casted.