Create a Popular Minehut Server in 5 Steps

kegnh

Introduction
Before we begin, I wanted to introduce myself. I'm kegnh, I work/have worked on almost 50 popular Minehut servers. I like to create joke servers in my spare time, and push the limits of Minehut. I also wanted to mention that the guide below isn't for a good server, just a popular one. If you have a good enough idea, I suggest you build it, good ideas are enough to launch themselves. If you enjoy the tutorial, please like it, may seem simple but it goes along way.

1. The Idea
  2. Keeping players online
  3. Keep players coming back
  4. Server Launch
  5. Getting your first 50 players

Step 1 - The Idea

• Every server, popular or not, starts with an idea. An idea is the basic building ground for a server. Ideas are often the part where most servers fail.
  • To create an idea, you can steal take inspiration from other servers. When I say this I don't mean coping directly. I'm talking about merging two ideas into one new idea.
  • Ideal Idea requirements:
    1. Single Player. Try to make your server primarily single player. This way, as you start out your server, player's won't have to rely on other players to have a good time.
    2. Multiplayer Aspects. While the game is not primarily multi-player, you still want to support player interaction. Whether this be creating friendly (or not so friendly... we'll add to this later) competition such as leaderboards, or player interaction whether role-play or trading.
    3. Replay ability. One of the key aspects of a Minehut server are seasons. Seasons are a way to reset player statistics, further engage players, and give new-comers a chance.
  • The example I'll use for this tutorial, is a mix between GenPVP and Prison. My idea is to have a plot server where you mine out your plot with bombs. I'll add to this idea later but that's the most basic I can make it.

Step 2 - Keeping players online

• Most players on Minehut find new servers on the front page. The front page usually is a server owner's dream, but not if you know how. The front page is ordered with player count, which means the more players online the better.
  • The key here is that the players don't have to be online online, afk players still count towards the server total
  • A good way to encourage players to stay online is with afk rewards. Gen servers are a good example as the longer you're online the more money you receive.
  • To add to the server we're creating, let's add some sort of reward, I'm going to reward the player with coins. To give purpose to the coins I'm thinking of adding a shop where you can buy better bombs, with bigger explosions. And as this will become a large part of the game I'll add a way to get coins by playing. The new Idea is to blow up your plot with bombs to dig deeper and deeper and sell new ores that you discover.

Step 3 - Keep players coming back

• The key to keeping a popular server is to keep player's coming back.
  • The most obvious is a Daily Reward, which increases the more days in a row you collect it.
  • Another key idea is to make your server name recognisable, relatable and short. For example the server name Expel is short, and recognisable, but not relatable to bombs. BombPlots is recognisable, relatable, and each word relatively small.
  • For our server I'll make the name BombPlots, and I'll add daily coin rewards that increase with every consecutive day. 

Step 4 - Prototyping

• Now it's the fun time where we put all our efforts together to try make a playable prototype. 
  • I suggest making the prototype in skript, and if possible creating the finished server as a plugin. If you don't have much programming experience, then hiring someone else is also an effective solution.
  • The focus of the prototype should be to create some main mechanics, and test if they're worth putting into production. Nothing worse than putting a terrible game into production.

Step 5 - Launch / Getting your first 50 players

• Great! We've reached the point where you're ready to release
  • Make sure you include a tutorial in your release.
  • To get your first 50 players advertising is key, if you can buy a rank, or hire someone to advertise for you. You can also advertise in the forums, lobby, and discord server!

Conclusion
Thank you for reading, I hope this helps with projects now, and far in the future. If you did enjoy, like the post, it helps out a lot more than you may think.

• Like 4

Minecraft Ranks
[DEFAULT] - 9th October 2020
[PRO] - 21st November 2020
[PATRON] - 27th October 2021

Proficiency
Python - 8 Years
C/C++ - 5 Years
Skript - 4 Years
Javascript - 3 Year
Java - 1 Year

Links
Discord - kegnh#1234

On 12/7/2021 at 11:21 AM, itskegnh said:

Introduction
Before we begin, I wanted to introduce myself. I'm kegnh, I work/have worked on almost 50 popular Minehut servers. I like to create joke servers in my spare time, and push the limits of Minehut. I also wanted to mention that the guide below isn't for a good server, just a popular one. If you have a good enough idea, I suggest you build it, good ideas are enough to launch themselves. If you enjoy the tutorial, please like it, may seem simple but it goes along way.

1. The Idea
  2. Keeping players online
  3. Keep players coming back
  4. Server Launch
  5. Getting your first 50 players

Step 1 - The Idea

• Every server, popular or not, starts with an idea. An idea is the basic building ground for a server. Ideas are often the part where most servers fail.
  • To create an idea, you can steal take inspiration from other servers. When I say this I don't mean coping directly. I'm talking about merging two ideas into one new idea.
  • Ideal Idea requirements:
    1. Single Player. Try to make your server primarily single player. This way, as you start out your server, player's won't have to rely on other players to have a good time.
    2. Multiplayer Aspects. While the game is not primarily multi-player, you still want to support player interaction. Whether this be creating friendly (or not so friendly... we'll add to this later) competition such as leaderboards, or player interaction whether role-play or trading.
    3. Replay ability. One of the key aspects of a Minehut server are seasons. Seasons are a way to reset player statistics, further engage players, and give new-comers a chance.
  • The example I'll use for this tutorial, is a mix between GenPVP and Prison. My idea is to have a plot server where you mine out your plot with bombs. I'll add to this idea later but that's the most basic I can make it.

Step 2 - Keeping players online

• Most players on Minehut find new servers on the front page. The front page usually is a server owner's dream, but not if you know how. The front page is ordered with player count, which means the more players online the better.
  • The key here is that the players don't have to be online online, afk players still count towards the server total
  • A good way to encourage players to stay online is with afk rewards. Gen servers are a good example as the longer you're online the more money you receive.
  • To add to the server we're creating, let's add some sort of reward, I'm going to reward the player with coins. To give purpose to the coins I'm thinking of adding a shop where you can buy better bombs, with bigger explosions. And as this will become a large part of the game I'll add a way to get coins by playing. The new Idea is to blow up your plot with bombs to dig deeper and deeper and sell new ores that you discover.

Step 3 - Keep players coming back

• The key to keeping a popular server is to keep player's coming back.
  • The most obvious is a Daily Reward, which increases the more days in a row you collect it.
  • Another key idea is to make your server name recognisable, relatable and short. For example the server name Expel is short, and recognisable, but not relatable to bombs. BombPlots is recognisable, relatable, and each word relatively small.
  • For our server I'll make the name BombPlots, and I'll add daily coin rewards that increase with every consecutive day. 

Step 4 - Prototyping

• Now it's the fun time where we put all our efforts together to try make a playable prototype. 
  • I suggest making the prototype in skript, and if possible creating the finished server as a plugin. If you don't have much programming experience, then hiring someone else is also an effective solution.
  • The focus of the prototype should be to create some main mechanics, and test if they're worth putting into production. Nothing worse than putting a terrible game into production.

Step 5 - Launch / Getting your first 50 players

• Great! We've reached the point where you're ready to release
  • Make sure you include a tutorial in your release.
  • To get your first 50 players advertising is key, if you can buy a rank, or hire someone to advertise for you. You can also advertise in the forums, lobby, and discord server!

Conclusion
Thank you for reading, I hope this helps with projects now, and far in the future. If you did enjoy, like the post, it helps out a lot more than you may think.

Do you know any names that i can use for a Boxpvp server?

it would really help

Minecraft skin:

2021_12_03_----jinx-----19449408.png

• 4 weeks later...

A server doing this pretty well is betamaxed, its a roblox simulator style game and encourages afk rewards and daily rewards. Check them out if you have time!

Minecraft Ranks
[DEFAULT] - 9th October 2020
[PRO] - 21st November 2020
[PATRON] - 27th October 2021

Proficiency
Python - 8 Years
C/C++ - 5 Years
Skript - 4 Years
Javascript - 3 Year
Java - 1 Year

Links
Discord - kegnh#1234