/ad is bad

ThunderStorm

I remember a few months ago was when I had first joined Minehut. I had previously been using Aternos to host my server, until that beautiful day I found Minehut. When I joined the Minehut lobby for the first time, I saw people advertising there Minehut servers in the chat (/ad wasn't added yet). I saw how quickly there servers would get filled with players due to advertising, so I decided to start my own Minehut server just because of that. after a few days of working on my server, I decided it was good enough to turn off whitelist and find some players. so I advertised my server in the Minehut lobby. After less than a minute of advertising I joined my server and was surprised to see that it was almost full! it had took me less than a minute to get a large amount of players on my server! Minehut became my new favorite server hosting network in the world and I would use it every single day! until that one dreadful day when they added /ad. Getting players in my server because 10 times harder due to the insanely long cool down /ad had. If my first ad was not able to get more than 2 players my server would not be up for much longer. Minehut went from the best Minecraft server host of all time to the worst Minecraft server host. 

Some people say that /ad prevents spam, but do we really need a 7 minute cool down to prevent spam? spam is when people enter the same message in chat every 5 seconds. The only thing /ad does is make starting your server hard. Especially for new server owners. What else is the lobby even used for besides finding and advertising servers? why would you just sit in the lobby for no reason and get mad every time someone advertises in chat? The whole point of the Minehut lobby is to find and advertise servers. Not only is /ad bad for people who are just starting servers and trying to find a good amount of players, but it is also bad for people trying to find servers. Lets say you are trying to find a brand new smp to play on, you go to the lobby and say "is there any smp?" But you get no response, because everyone is afraid of getting muted for "advertising" when they tell you the name of a good smp server. One of the main reasons Minehut was one of the most popular server hosts is because of how you can get 10 players in you server in a matter of minutes just by advertising. Now that /ad is here and you have to wait almost 8 minutes to advertise therefore you can no longer fill you server in a few minutes. people are asking themselves why should I keep using Minehut? but there is no answer to that question. other server hosts let you choose the max player count while Minehut makes you pay to get a higher max player count. You cannot change the icon your server has when it is added to someones server list however other server hosts let you do that. We are going to have to face the truth, that the only reason Minehut is popular is because of advertising. Minehut will have to remove /ad or make the cool down for /ad much, much shorter or Minehut will see a massive decline in popularity as people will begin to choose other server hosts over Minehut.

• Like 2

IGN: LordUltron    Discord: ThunderStorm#6354

-------------------------------------------------------------image.png.4c4c27822b59b56f6996b43655338072.png

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but this is basically telling players not, and or highly encourage them not to use the command that was purposely designed for advertising. We're glad you provided your perspective. I'm not going to do anything though, as Moderators might have something else to note, and I'm not sure if this deserves approval.

Edited by tigero9

Default - 5/10/2017 - 8/1/2018
[VIP] - 8/1/2018 - 11/25/2020
[HELPER] - 11/25/2020 - 3/8/2021
[MOD] - 3/8/2021 - 5/17/2021
[<3] 5/17/2021 - Now

Former Minehut Moderator.

Fun fact - They mute for caps even if you're using /ad

Honestly if you don't have a rank I'd recommend making a free op server bc otherwise you're just not gonna get enough players.

What is the largest free mh server you've seen?

16/5/21 - 53 was reached

On 11/27/2020 at 7:25 PM, ThunderStorm said:

Some people say that /ad prevents spam, but do we really need a 7 minute cool down to prevent spam? spam is when people enter the same message in chat every 5 seconds. The only thing /ad does is make starting your server hard.

Honestly, it does help with spam. You are not having people in the lobby send a message every 30 seconds.

Not only is /ad bad for people who are just starting servers and trying to find a good amount of players, but it is also bad for people trying to find servers. Lets say you are trying to find a brand new smp to play on, you go to the lobby and say "is there any smp?" But you get no response, because everyone is afraid of getting muted for "advertising" when they tell you the name of a good smp server.

Simply they can message you via /msg in the lobby, tell you the server name, and that's it.

One of the main reasons Minehut was one of the most popular server hosts is because of how you can get 10 players in you server in a matter of minutes just by advertising. Now that /ad is here and you have to wait almost 8 minutes to advertise therefore you can no longer fill you server in a few minutes.

I would say it isn't that easy to get a server full within minutes. When I started my server, and what I am about to say could be completely different from your experience, or anyone else's experience, it took me quite a while to get even 5 players. And also, if you want to wait a shorter amount of time, you can buy a rank, unless you can't buy it.

people are asking themselves why should I keep using Minehut? but there is no answer to that question. other server hosts let you choose the max player count while Minehut makes you pay to get a higher max player count. You cannot change the icon your server has when it is added to someones server list however other server hosts let you do that.

Minehut needs money. They are a business, and they need to pay developers, run their website, etc. Try running a company, you can see on how much money is important. While other server hosts can choose your max player count and while you cannot change your icon, it had to have been developed somewhere. Minehut pays people to develop that kind of stuff. So Minehut needs money to run.

We are going to have to face the truth, that the only reason Minehut is popular is because of advertising. Minehut will have to remove /ad or make the cool down for /ad much, much shorter or Minehut will see a massive decline in popularity as people will begin to choose other server hosts over Minehut.

I wouldn't say the only reason why Minehut is popular was because of advertising. If you know how to skript, you can do lots of stuff within Minehut, and you don't have to pay. And if Minehut keeps /ad and keeps the cooldown the same, I don't think they will see a massive decline in players. There are lots of servers, some being very good. You don't have to start a server. And if Minehut makes the cooldown for /ad much shorter, you can see a possible increase in spam, depending on how low you increase it to.

So getting that out of the way, I would say we should keep /ad the way it is. It clears up chat and decreased spam. If Minehut keeps /ad, which I think they should, I think Minehut would be fine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 2:37 PM, Knazamn said:

Honestly, it does help with spam. You are not having people in the lobby send a message every 30 seconds.

Simply they can message you via /msg in the lobby, tell you the server name, and that's it.

I would say it isn't that easy to get a server full within minutes. When I started my server, and what I am about to say could be completely different from your experience, or anyone else's experience, it took me quite a while to get even 5 players. And also, if you want to wait a shorter amount of time, you can buy a rank, unless you can't buy it.

Minehut needs money. They are a business, and they need to pay developers, run their website, etc. Try running a company, you can see on how much money is important. While other server hosts can choose your max player count and while you cannot change your icon, it had to have been developed somewhere. Minehut pays people to develop that kind of stuff. So Minehut needs money to run.

I wouldn't say the only reason why Minehut is popular was because of advertising. If you know how to skript, you can do lots of stuff within Minehut, and you don't have to pay. And if Minehut keeps /ad and keeps the cooldown the same, I don't think they will see a massive decline in players. There are lots of servers, some being very good. You don't have to start a server. And if Minehut makes the cooldown for /ad much shorter, you can see a possible increase in spam, depending on how low you increase it to.

So getting that out of the way, I would say we should keep /ad the way it is. It clears up chat and decreased spam. If Minehut keeps /ad, which I think they should, I think Minehut would be fine.

Trust me, there are thohusands of beautifully skripted servers which get less than 5 players. And when u just started your server, /ad wasnt even a thing, so of course it will be filled with tons of people. Minehut is actually popular because u can advertise your server and get players, skripting wont get u as much players as advertising. So I say either remove /ad or make cooldown shorter

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

ngl i hate ad limit and heres the reason why.

I hate the minehut ad limit because i am limited to 4 ads per month which is ridiculous. And some people dont want to / cant pay $5 - $100 a month for more than that. And yet people get muted for advertising in chat like how else are we meant to grow our servers? I wish minehut would go back to when there were no ad limits just cooldowns and when you could just pay money once for a rank because i had OG [VIP] Rank before my main account got hacked and stolen from me. This is why i think they should go back to just the ad limit whos with me? Leave you're answers below.

• 6 months later...