Staff are too Blunt [RANT]

blockdude88

Before I kick this off, I'd like to say that I'm in no way dissing on the staff members of Minehut. I just feel like there is a disconnect amongst them and it really makes using the service unfair. Thank you for understanding.

So, just a few minutes ago I was muted for "Inappropriate Behavior". I wasn't informed on what aspect of the conversation held in the lobby was inappropriate, nor was I warned not to speak how I spoke. For whatever the reason was, it's only a 5 hour mute and I do not mind waiting it out. But it really made me think of just how different each staff member is in their ways of handling things (I'd like to assume this was a Jr. Mod because there were about 3 online at the time). I find it very confusing when the staff are handling punishments on Minehut, namely because of how they all interact with the community. Some, such as CyberRyan, are more lenient and social. He's a real, down-to-earth guy who I strongly believe is deserving of the role he has in this community. The same could be said for ThatOneTqnk before he resigned twice, and many others. However, some--which I will not give examples of for obvious reason (you know who you are)--are awfully strict and unfair. Not only do some staff members not leave room for correction, but they'll assume that the player being punished is fully aware of what they have done. Like I said, I literally have no clue what I said/did to be considered inappropriate, nor do I care. But it's just frustrating that this is now on my record and I have no way of dealing with it without posting an appeal, which I'd have nothing to back with because I do not even know who muted me, nor the message(s) regarding my mute. There needs to be some sort of mandatory communicated for the little things because I'm pretty sure most of the community is more concerned about just SEEING the chat rather than something mildly inappropriate that they can easily look away from.

TLDR: Staff need to communicate before muting someone over something little.

• Like 1

Yeah the rules on Minehut are really vague and lots of gray areas. It really falls down to the opinion of the staff member present. Punishments vary for different staff members. Ex. some staff members won't let you advertise more than once every 2 minutes, some say 5, some say 15..There's a lack of consistency and it ultimately leads to false punishments. Yeah it's unfair but that's just how it is on Minehut.

• Like 1

Graphic Designer - Skript Developer - Professional Builder - Content Creator

Been on Minehut since January 2018. Throughout my time here I've mastered the skills you see above. I make free logos, banners, and server art for users on Minehut. I'm a proficient Skript developer. I'm also really good at building, you can see my portfolio by clicking here. Feel free to say hi if you see me somewhere 🙂

Amethyst Studios Discord

2 minutes ago, farwl said:

Yeah the rules on Minehut are really vague and lots of gray areas. It really falls down to the opinion of the staff member present. Punishments vary for different staff members. Ex. some staff members won't let you advertise more than once every 2 minutes, some say 5, some say 15..There's a lack of consistency and it ultimately leads to false punishments. Yeah it's unfair but that's just how it is on Minehut.

Yeah, that and the fact that when I attempted to ask Trent some questions about how mutes should be ruled out, he just told me I have to appeal and that they do not discuss that stuff. Which is funny, because if your policy is strictly to not discuss how punishments are to be ruled out, that gives me the impression that they don't discuss it amongst themselves. 😕

Staff do communicate on punishments they may question before they actually proceed with the action. There is a staff chat that is private in the game where staff members communicate on punishments, event coordination, etc. But I do agree how each staff member have their own way of handling a situation and how they can interpret things too bluntly as you describe it. Some staff members who are too blunt with the situation will communicate and some others will proceed to do their own thing. In the punishment guidelines (I have no clue if they have actually updated it) inappropriate behavior is not warned and just given directly as a 5 hour long punishment. If you had staff members warn you about inappropriate behavior they are being lenient about it.

All I consider doing is to DM one of the staff members on Discord if you are so curious and ask them why you have been muted for the context you said which they thought would be redeemed as "inappropriate." Just be aware that if you are lucky enough they might provide an explanation. If not, they are just going to redirect you to appealing which I don't recommend at all since it's wasted effort. But hey, you do you.

I'll put it this way Inappropriate behavior is a sev 2 mute meaning you are not entitled to a verbal warn. Sev 2 also scales twice as fast as other mutes starting with 5 or 6 the idea behind this is you should know what you are doing/talking about is in violation of the MH rules. idk what you said and with new Jrs still getting their feet wet I can't judge this specific case. If you were the staff trust me the amount of punishments typed is astronomical. If you DM a mod and tell them the general time they can look up what you said its all logged.