"An Unknown Error Occurred" after restoring server to previous version

Yaintve

Question

Posted this in general but realized this is a better place.

I updated my server to Spigot 1.17 and created a backup of it on Paper 1.16.5 just in case. The update was laggy for me and the rest of my friends while playing, so we decided to revert back to 1.16.5. I restarted the server and clicked restore server, but then it said "An Unknown Error Occurred" when trying to launch it, and now I can't even open the server/world and I'm scared that I messed everything up even though the backup was made. What happened/what can I do? Every time I or any of my other friends on the server tries to open the world via the Minehut server doing /join, it just sends us back to the lobby. This is the latest log as of trying to open it: https://pastebin.com/BxVWsQUM

3 answers to this question

We are in a similar situation where we have a backup, but the dashboard doesn't seem to accept it.  We have also been experiencing oddities where the dashboard won't start our server. (The server never starts via dashboard, so there is no log to view).

However, we can start the server via the lobby /join method.  After setting the dashboard to 1.17 and starting from lobby, we were able to start and play our world on 1.17.  However, with the free tier 1 GB of RAM and the current memory issues with 1.17 Spigot, it's not a fun experience to play.

6 hours ago, BreadSlice said:

We are in a similar situation where we have a backup, but the dashboard doesn't seem to accept it.  We have also been experiencing oddities where the dashboard won't start our server. (The server never starts via dashboard, so there is no log to view).

However, we can start the server via the lobby /join method.  After setting the dashboard to 1.17 and starting from lobby, we were able to start and play our world on 1.17.  However, with the free tier 1 GB of RAM and the current memory issues with 1.17 Spigot, it's not a fun experience to play.

8 hours ago, Yaintve said:

Posted this in general but realized this is a better place.

I updated my server to Spigot 1.17 and created a backup of it on Paper 1.16.5 just in case. The update was laggy for me and the rest of my friends while playing, so we decided to revert back to 1.16.5. I restarted the server and clicked restore server, but then it said "An Unknown Error Occurred" when trying to launch it, and now I can't even open the server/world and I'm scared that I messed everything up even though the backup was made. What happened/what can I do? Every time I or any of my other friends on the server tries to open the world via the Minehut server doing /join, it just sends us back to the lobby. This is the latest log as of trying to open it: https://pastebin.com/BxVWsQUM

It looks like minehut doesn’t allow you to transfer back to 1.16 yet if you’ve updated to 1.17. You can either wait until this gets resolved or you can reset your server. I’m 90% sure backups wont go around this issue. Sorry for the inconvenience.

image.png.66680ad206f55e2ab6001c04d22be0f1.png

image.png.c3f107282688d11aa97e4736c77807b1.png

image.png.4cb300c00b38d50a5759d984d6d1ae96.png (you're*)

image.png.d5a0abb5ace12e4d759fa3bb9f40f049.png