Is it possible to preserve explored map progress when deleting chunks from the savefile?

Fred84

Question

As the upload size is limited to 500mb, and my local savefile was beyond 2gb, I had to delete chunks with MCAselector.

Now, we like to explore and make map walls, and here we had a giant 6-by-10 level 3 map wall.

After deleting the chunks, opening the world locally has no effect on the maps, but if I upload the savefile, the maps are either missing or corrupted.

I tried re-uploading the map_###.dat files, but it did not really solve the problem.

Is there a way to preserve those map walls or should I give up and be ready to re-explore everything?

6 answers to this question

ok, I solved it.

actions I followed:

• create new temporary default world
  • delete old upload
  • upload savefile again
  • navigate to the data folder where all the map_###.dat files are
  • re-upload these files
  • re-set the new uploaded world to be the default
  • delete the temporary one

13 minutes ago, _omga said:

I wouldn’t think it is possible to preserve the map data as map data is stored directly in the world and not on item data. 

with "directly in the world" what do you mean? in the .mca files? then what's in the map_###.dat files?

according to the wiki, no:

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Java_Edition_level_format

/data/map_<#>.dat     Map item format     Stores the map data for the craftable Map items.

and from https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Map_item_format#map_.3C.23.3E.dat_format

colors: Width * Height array of color values (16384 entries for a default 128×128 map).

I understand that the maps should be preserved, because the color arrays are unchanged until I reload them (hold them in my hand)