Minehut's backup system not working properly, how does it work and how to restore your server successfully

Arodon

Hi,

after the last update, I've lost my world, and because I forgot to backup my world by downloading it directly into my hard drive, I got left with only Minehut backup. At first, I thought it wasn't working, anytime I pressed the restore button, it only generated a whole new world. After some time investigating I revealed the problem and I want to share it here in hope, that it will eventually help somebody with similiar problem, because I've seen many people struggle with the Minehut's backup system not working properly.

The problem is in the way the backup generates your world in the the File manager. The backup system, after you press the restore button, is generating your saved data (all your regions1 for all the dimension - overworld, nether and end), but it is putting those data into a file with incorrect names. Everytime you restore your server's data from Minehut's backup, it will generate three new following files: "world", "world_nether" and "worl_end". But your server is trying to find a file with it's own name and expects to find region files in it, however the restoration of your server's data along with generating new files with the "world" names also deleted original files. So the next time you start your world, it tries to find those files with your servers names, (simple example: "Myservername", "Myservername_nether" and "Myservername_end") but because there are only the "world" (even though they contain your restored server's data) they get overlooked and the system is looking for the files with your server names. Finally, this leads to the creation of another three files, but with the right names and a whole new wolrd is generated. 

The solution is to press the restore button, go to your File manager and try to find the three world files and replace the word "world" (!!Careful, if you opened the server after the restore button and you went to the file manager after, you also have to first delete the new files with your server's name, that you generated by opening the world!!) with your proper server name and next time, you run your world, it will generate with the restored data from your backup. 

However, I found out that for some reason, it only work for overworld, the nether and end dimensions ("Myservername_nether" and "Myservername_end") are still going to be generated again (so if you build something in the Nether or End dimension, you pretty much won't regain it), but I hope this will set you on the right path to fix even the other dimensions. (I did not try to figure this out because on my server I didn't build anything worth restoring in the other dimensions)

I hope this will be of any help.

1) Region is an area in Minecraft, with the size of 32x32 chunks. In your file manager, it is a file that ends  with .mca and this region file is responsible for saving all the data. If you delete this region file, you will delete all your builds in it and after you enter the region in-game, it will generate a whole new region with newly generated chunks. The edges of this region will most likely not blend that well with the rest non-restored regions.

PowerCubeArodon