Minecraft server questions

eventlack

Question

So it's spring break where I am and I wanted to build a minecraft server for the kids.

(I have done sys admin for years but i have never used this app before.)

So I created a Ubuntu 20.04 server loaded, Bedrock server on to it.

I can now log in and play with my kids but now they want to open the server to the outside world so they can play with their cousins and friends.

is there any guides out there on how to securely setup the server? I don't want people to join that are not people we know, as well as me being the copy and paste into minecraft books bedrock i think the term is OP so people can't change game modes on my kids.

Any help with this would greatly be appreciated!!!

Edited by eventlack

2 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, eventlack said:

So it's spring break where I am and I wanted to build a minecraft server for the kids.

(I have done sys admin for years but i have never used this app before.)

So I created a Ubuntu 20.04 server loaded, Bedrock server on to it.

I can now log in and play with my kids but now they want to open the server to the outside world so they can play with their cousins and friends.

is there any guides out there on how to securely setup the server? I don't want people to join that are not people we know, as well as me being the i think the term is OP so people can't change game modes on my kids.

Any help with this would greatly be appreciated!!!

EDIT: Just read that your using bedrock. You might need to use "allowlist" instead of "whitelist" in your commands.

The term "OP" means operator, meaning you have full access to any commands available.

As long as no one else has operator they can't change your kids gamemode.

There is a way to allow certain people to join. I'm like 99% sure it will work although since I've never used something called "Ubuntu" I'm not certain.

If you don't have operator access already, type "op <Your Game Name>" inside the console, wherever that may be.

Next go in game and type "/whitelist on". This should turn on whitelist. Note that you aren't automatically added to the whitelist. To add players to your whitelist do "/whitelist add <Player Game Name>". For any more information regarding whitelisting, you can go here: Commands/whitelist – Minecraft Wiki (fandom.com)

I'm fairly active on the forums so let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by AgentGamerPro

image.png.bc433d6489d70ad831075fe76809b993.png

Lifestealed | Minecraft Servers

OG [VIP] 12/26/20 - 10/27/2021
OG [PRO] 12/27/21 - 11/18/2022
OG [LEGEND] 11/18/2022 - 3/14/2023
[DEFAULT] 3/14/2023 - Present