Mods or Plugins?

GoDead

Mods or Plugins?  

469 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather be able to master?

2. 2. What do you prefer?

Plugin development 100%.

Graphic Designer - Skript Developer - Professional Builder - Content Creator

Been on Minehut since January 2018. Throughout my time here I've mastered the skills you see above. I make free logos, banners, and server art for users on Minehut. I'm a proficient Skript developer. I'm also really good at building, you can see my portfolio by clicking here. Feel free to say hi if you see me somewhere 🙂

Amethyst Studios Discord

4 hours ago, Farwl said:

Plugin development 100%.

I respect your opinion but why, plugins are only server sided and with mods you can work with the client and the server. Also you can do anything with mods, with servers you don’t have as many options. The 1 good thing about plugin development is that it’s easier for the player and it runs better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoDead said:

I respect your opinion but why, plugins are only server sided and with mods you can work with the client and the server. Also you can do anything with mods, with servers you don’t have as many options. The 1 good thing about plugin development is that it’s easier for the player and it runs better.

You ask a question, then you kind of seem to stand up for mods, like plugins stand no chance in this thread.

I vote plugins. Why?

Because you can modify quite a bit of the server. I understand you have limitations as a lot is still handled client side, but you can still do quite a bit. 

Your players do not require any mods. For a first time player, mods are very convoluted and very confusing. The first time I tried joining a modded server I couldn't figure anything out. After a while someone told me about the Technic launcher. That made things easier for sure. I joined a couple servers that had a CRAP ton of mods, to the point it lagged my client so damn hard. (1 ex: I was helping someone with some scripting stuff in their mod pack, they had (no joke) 150+ mods. My clients lag was thru the roof)

I don't know enough about the modded community to really give an opinion on it, but it seems like they update slow. Forge for example just came out recently with a working 1.13.x version, just in time for MC 1.14 to come out. Forge for 1.14 just came out about 7 days ago. If we were to compare Spigot, they came out the same day MC released 1.14.

Spigot plugin based servers make it a lot easier on players. 

I totally get there are players out there that understand modded servers quite a bit more and find it super simple, but a lot don't. 

Personally, I would love to give modding a try. I am doing quite well with the Spigot/Bukkit API, I find it relatively easy. I took a peak at the Forge API and it scared the heck out of me (haha) but then again that's probably just because Im so used to Spigot now that anything else seems so very different!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ShaneBee said:

You ask a question, then you kind of seem to stand up for mods, like plugins stand no chance in this thread.

I vote plugins. Why?

Because you can modify quite a bit of the server. I understand you have limitations as a lot is still handled client side, but you can still do quite a bit. 

Your players do not require any mods. For a first time player, mods are very convoluted and very confusing. The first time I tried joining a modded server I couldn't figure anything out. After a while someone told me about the Technic launcher. That made things easier for sure. I joined a couple servers that had a CRAP ton of mods, to the point it lagged my client so damn hard. (1 ex: I was helping someone with some scripting stuff in their mod pack, they had (no joke) 150+ mods. My clients lag was thru the roof)

I don't know enough about the modded community to really give an opinion on it, but it seems like they update slow. Forge for example just came out recently with a working 1.13.x version, just in time for MC 1.14 to come out. Forge for 1.14 just came out about 7 days ago. If we were to compare Spigot, they came out the same day MC released 1.14.

Spigot plugin based servers make it a lot easier on players. 

I totally get there are players out there that understand modded servers quite a bit more and find it super simple, but a lot don't. 

Personally, I would love to give modding a try. I am doing quite well with the Spigot/Bukkit API, I find it relatively easy. I took a peak at the Forge API and it scared the heck out of me (haha) but then again that's probably just because Im so used to Spigot now that anything else seems so very different!

I also prefer spigot development because it’s easier and the documentation is much better, and also with Forge you are working more directly with Mojang code instead of a good API (I think). But if I could choose between perfecting one or the other, I’d probably choose Forge.

Edited by GoDead

• 2 months later...

As a creator of a server as anyone is here I think we should be able to MODify any files except the server properties files for the servers for one the plugins available currently are 26 versions behind including bukkit. It would be more reasonable to have mods and the ability to import more variants of files and create or upload plugins to your server.

• 5 months later...

i been playing on mod packs with near 300 mods. i find some with a bit of lag.. and some im looking for lag and cant find it. modding community seems to be improving alot on the lag beast issues.  as for vanilla minecraft .. cant really stand to play it more then 5 to 10 mins and im done .

i also created my own custom mod pack with 180 mods on it. very little lag .. i do remember when computers wasnt able to keep up will with 80 mods tho.  i think as computers get more powerful we will see more mods loaded at a single time.

i do have a friend that was working purely with vanilla minecraft using nothing but server side plug ins. wasnt bad.. but dont think id actually play on it . just dont interest me personally.

also the only issue i see with modded.. newer packs are taking up 8G ram . minimum 4G seems

Edited by pyscho

• 8 months later...