What i think is causing the lag

AexDEye9

hia, servers have been constantly lagging since the introduction of 1.14 and it had stumped me as to why...

in almost all cases, the TPS is very high, and stable, something i'd least expect.
in a laggy situation, everyone seems to lose ping, something also seen in DDos attacks, which is an impossible cause.
after monitoring some stats of free servers, mainly dupe servers with people loading chunks with elytra, i realised that the problem was lack of RAM.
these days, an average server cannot be sustained by only 1gb of ram, if you want 10 players on it. there was a period after all servers were reset this year, that we had 20 player slots and 2gb of ram, and i experience little to no lag during that time.

the final point i have to make is that upgrading all servers to 2gb of ram, whilst we're barely able to keep up with demand just isn't possible whatsoever, and that's what infuriates me, i remember when we had quiet mornings with only 50 running servers and just under 100 players online back in early 2018, nothing beats the early days of the web panel...

anyway, correct me if i'm wrong about this issue, i'd like to hear any and all feedback you have!

• Like 1

Hi.
~Joined: 02/02/2017
~VIP: 09/10/2020

3 hours ago, AexDEye9 said:

hia, servers have been constantly lagging since the introduction of 1.14 and it had stumped me as to why...

in almost all cases, the TPS is very high, and stable, something i'd least expect.
in a laggy situation, everyone seems to lose ping, something also seen in DDos attacks, which is an impossible cause.
after monitoring some stats of free servers, mainly dupe servers with people loading chunks with elytra, i realised that the problem was lack of RAM.
these days, an average server cannot be sustained by only 1gb of ram, if you want 10 players on it. there was a period after all servers were reset this year, that we had 20 player slots and 2gb of ram, and i experience little to no lag during that time.

the final point i have to make is that upgrading all servers to 2gb of ram, whilst we're barely able to keep up with demand just isn't possible whatsoever, and that's what infuriates me, i remember when we had quiet mornings with only 50 running servers and just under 100 players online back in early 2018, nothing beats the early days of the web panel...

anyway, correct me if i'm wrong about this issue, i'd like to hear any and all feedback you have!

You can get more ram on your server by upgrading your player slots

JR.MOD  August 1st, 2019              Reports & Appeals Team Lead  ↩              MOD  October 1st, 2019

↪  SR.MOD  August 11th, 2020

On 9/14/2019 at 4:39 PM, AexDEye9 said:

your one of the reasons we're lagging

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

• 1 year later...
On 9/20/2019 at 4:11 AM, Supreme_OG said:

My server never lags at all. People say its bcos its a 500x500 grind smp but idk.

HI, how did you limit your map to 500x500? I started a server a few days ago and havent stopped lagging, its nearly impossible to mine blocks and i want my frineds to play with me! So I upgraded to MH35 and its still lagging as all get out. please help!!! xD