Budd3rBoy

Editing files without having to activate the server everytime

I feel like making it possible to edit files without having to activate the server would be nice. I am setting up datapacks for a server but it keeps timing out because of player activity so editing is annoying. I could just have my player join, but my PC is a tad slow and it would be great for people who are managing their server on a different machine. Any changes made would be updated upon restart or start of the server

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

You need to activate your server, because the server has to be transferred to the Minehut network before having any changes done to it. Editing your server files without the server actually existing wouldn't work.

Edited by Clarifity

Member of the Minehut Community Support Team.

Discord: Clarifity#9859.

The Community Support category is my home.

Untitled.png.9fee309b6d0715b529e2ff8ae7b139e9.png

Screen_Shot_2019-09-28_at_12_11.23_AM.png.20af5ec590a7831a4704652dba75806a.png

Whilst it is a novel idea, this wouldn't work due to the fundamental way in which Minehut functions, attempting to make a http request to edit a file using Minehut's API while your player server is offlline, fails to return code 200, and results in an error. This could in theory work, but would require a massive overhaul of Minehut's internal services, and API (which would be nice regardless).

• Like 2

Servers are zip files in storage if they aren't online. Activating your server downloads and unzips the zip file, which is what is required for you to edit your files.

Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2019 at 1:56 PM, Clarifity said:

You need to activate your server, because the server has to be transferred to the Minehut network before having any changes done to it. Editing your server files without the server actually existing wouldn't work.

<snip> has this feature, so it can be done. It would probably just take a lot of work for Minehut to implement this though.

Edited by _C02

On 8/16/2019 at 7:28 PM, Trent said:

Servers are zip files in storage if they aren't online. Activating your server downloads and unzips the zip file, which is what is required for you to edit your files.

What about an offline edit mode that unzips the files but doesnt turn on the server?

how about a way to activate it, but in a server setup mode? and in that mode would allow file editing and the like without using up a ton of server space and such, but enough to let you set the server up? if that makes any sense.