How to Reduce Your World File Size

DereC4

M I N E H U T  C O M M U N I T Y  F A Q

HOW TO REDUCE YOUR WORLD FILE SIZE

REQUIREMENTS: MCA Selector
DIFFICULTY: MEDIUM

Introduction:

Hey there! DereC_ here to give a helpful guide! Perhaps you may have tried to upload a world once, only to discover it was too large. Maybe you have some unused or corrupted chunks that you want to reset, but aren’t sure how. 

Provided that you haven’t filled your entire world with tons of builds, there are bound to be many chunks that were simply explored and untouched. This guide is perfect for scenarios like that, where you have chunks that you can safely delete without harming your creations. 

SMALL WARNING: By deleting these chunks, they generate back in the same way if the world generator is the same and the seed is the same. If you have a world from one of the older versions that you still play on, this will obviously result in some chunk differences which of course can be simply ignored or repaired using tools like WorldEdit (//smooth tool).  

This is perfect for the average Minehut user who wants to upload one of their worlds but has found out it is too big (over the 500 mb limit). 

How to reduce your world size: 

Hopefully you read the warning above. Anyway, there’s a very useful, up to date tool called MCA selector. Get it here.

This tool has many functions, but we’ll be focusing on deleting chunks for today. If you’re worried you might accidentally delete a chunk that people live in, you can filter out chunks with filters like occupied time or distance from spawn.

MCA Selector allows you to not only delete chunks, but do so interactively. The interface looks something like this (with your world loaded, of course).  

MbnkHEBorptyDgGzK71Qiaj31awKf5atzdlIf406jX4FmMHtww2Rabk6fQnNeYKE7tnUUTxHT9fzC57iKvEK8--O8DpBfqwLELMc5SetApxkmSHXlUWEmRfq963zY4wL4AeQpzLU

After you’ve loaded your world, you’ll notice how you can select individual chunks or even regions (if you scroll out) and do certain things with them like delete, or copy and paste them. The controls are simple: left click to select chunks (you can also hold and drag to select multiple) and right click to deselect! You move around the map in a style similar to Minecraft (WASD).  

ftl2FqVwK6HawnBvT9xvPGKMvPTUvQc3DZGW8sw9TOUQqD4c8iwJTGe1057y1bgxBYT-t1-4aLXmqOZn4_kpKCp2U2GRJP884Nu0lb3f7pwCZL2VuSUPBlu_eHDlBE8hAuIpIQN3

Now, scroll out, and venture to the parts of your world that are just a bunch of explored chunks with no builds, typically the edges of your map or parts far away from spawn. As you can see below, these parts have no builds and I have selected them. dMECSNu8jrps_K-JPioUmd4Cr-fQ71m2mTvscaO1-B-WtEoYkHpqiAXVGL79zTw507HynMINf7iPk4SinLXX3Qha1FJyeY-QVgsRtuPiX0tL7IOJBJ3ZksLb-Uk_TBzVlir3uZ02

Then, you can simply click selection -> delete selected chunks or ctrl-d to delete the chunks. agJncB0-_YkgEPrqpbEjKSNyj5HEdXgArCURt68DZAryV9WHkfbp-_GgqQqV5rCaDb1oE83vsOLDGr0ORk5eaCQ1N1EvYU8Yous4i_LKDCxBGIkL1L_DPoh74mSn3065-T_D1LPl

Now the chunks are deleted! When looking at your world again through file explorer, you will notice the size has decreased. Doing this can massively help reduce your world size by removing unnecessary chunks. Yes, they may be explored back later but this allows for your world to be small enough to transfer quickly or upload onto your Minehut server.   

Disclaimer: this won’t corrupt your world or anything it just deletes the chunk files. If you take a look at your world folder in “region” before and after, you’ll notice that the amount of files has been reduced.

For reference, the world uploading guide is here:

Require further assistance?:

If you need more help on this topic, head over to this section of forums, or join our Discord!

Compiled by DereC_

• Like 3

I'm just a random forum member who tries to make things better for everyone, staff and player alike. 

I saw a really cool forum (and awesome Minehut community member) do this so here we go haha:

Don't hesitate to leave a like on my post if I helped you in any way.

• Untreated changed the title to How to Reduce Your World File Size

Awesome CFAQ! This looks incredible, and really informative. Thank you for making this! I'm sure many people will use it.

• Like 1

𝚄𝚗𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚍

𝔻𝕚𝕤𝕔𝕠𝕣𝕕: @𝕌𝕟𝕥𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕕#𝟘𝟘𝟘𝟙

News & Updates  Rules • Helper Application

Reports • Appeals

𝚂𝚝𝚊𝚏𝚏 𝚘𝚗 𝙼𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚑𝚞𝚝 𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝙹𝚞𝚗𝚎 𝟹𝟶𝚝𝚑, 𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟶

Hey Cool Tutorial! 

• Like 1

Discord - tarna256

In-game name - _Tarna_

Website - https://tarna.dev
Paste Site: https://paste.tarna.dev

---------------------------------------------------------

[VIP] - 7/27/2020

Community Support - 7/8/20 | 11/3/20

Helper  - 11/3/20 - 2/21/21

Moderator - 2/21/21 - 5/17/21

❤️ - 5/17/21 - now

Moderator - 12/20/22 - now

---------------------------------------------------------

image.png.70849a9b84e0347ce107b8e3eaee312c.pngimage.png.2111009afbd8bef10966ba9ede35a199.png

thanks guys!

I'm just a random forum member who tries to make things better for everyone, staff and player alike. 

I saw a really cool forum (and awesome Minehut community member) do this so here we go haha:

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

yw

• 11 months later...