exceptwally - Staff Application

Personal Details:

Minecraft In-Game Name: exceptwally

Previous In-Game Names: WallyTube, TreeWhale, WallyDaWhale (exceptwally | Minecraft Profile | NameMC)

Discord Name and Tag (Ex: Pndq#2240): wally#1000

How old are you? 15

What is your time zone? Central Standard Time

Do you have access to a working microphone? (yes/no): Yes

Do you have the ability to record hackers? Yes

What languages do you speak (fluently)? English

General Details:

Why did you decide to apply for staff on PlexPvP?: I first joined PlexPvP about 3 years ago (2018) and instantly fell in love with it. I love how it's grown, not only it's gameplay quality, but the fun community that comes with it. I have made lots of friends and loads more memories from this server. Minehut is an amazing place to discover new creators and play on their projects, and Plex has appealed the most to me from its constant dedication and precision to quality. Needless to say, Minehut isn't always the most friendly and safe zone as it strives to be, and I am committed to keeping Plex a virtual home for all our newcomers as it has for me.

Why should we accept you over other applicants?: 

General Experience: Not only have I played standard Minecraft since 2016, but (and call me a broken record here) I have spent around 3 years on Plex and understand the type of content it has and have gained a feel for the game itself. This is highly beneficial towards helping new coming members and general players with questions about the rules and the game. I have developed around large staff teams, and even though my main task wasn't to moderate, I have picked up a few moderation skills along the way.

Trainee Experience: I want to use this section to clear the air about what you might be thinking. Yes, I have been accepted as a trainee twice now and turned down both times before making it to moderator for lacking in certain areas. It has been around 7-8 months since the last time I've applied, and I've used the time to get a better understanding of Plex's rules, how Plex runs, and formed some tighter relationships with current staff members. I believe that my past experience as a trainee has given me a deeper understanding about the right way to handle situations, and some pointers in the right direction to appear more professional to the Plex community.

Maturity: Even though I wouldn't consider myself an expert at appearing mature 100% of the time, I definitely think my previous trials as a trainee has given me more perspective at what counts as harmless jokes, and what crosses the line. I have a better understanding at how severe a message in the wrong direction can stain the reputation of the server, and this is the last thing I wish for Plex's future. With this being said, it is more imperative than ever that I watch what I say before I say it, and I hope my past mistakes don't cloud my future.

What are your strengths and weaknesses?: Because of my experience of PlexPvP and Minecraft, I know more, and can answer more questions newcomers may have about Minecraft questions and server questions. I'm good at helping people (this sounds very overdone), but when people ask for help, I try to make sure they understand to the fullest of my abilities. For weaknesses, I would say my ambitions might be a little dangerous, I get excited when participating with others in casual conversation, and can lead to a joke or two that might seem immature. I think we always have something to practice and improve, and I will definitely spend the time to help make sure mistakes aren't made.

What moderation experience do you have? Explain what you learned from these experiences: I have have developed a good amount of my own servers, not to mention also collaborating with others, which has given me good experience around the community and dedicated players. I have also worked with current Plex staff members and believe this will help me become better imbedded into getting to know the new Plex staff team better. All of these jobs have inspired me and taught me valuable elements to being a staff member and moderator. Since my last application, I have climbed to the top of the ranks as a developer for a large RPG project in Minehut, which has given me a lot of understanding about useful moderation elements, as well as successfully collaborating with a staff team.

Have you ever been punished on Plex or any other Minecraft servers? If so, why were you punished and how did you learn from it? I have been punished for hacking. It would be silly for me to just say I learned my lesson, and moved on. You can't undo the past but you can always learn from it. I think the part I hated most was the feeling I had after being punished. Multiple people saw me less as a player and more as a cheater, and that feeling isn't something I'd want to revisit just to get slightly better at a game I could be good at by just trying, like everyone else. Needless to say, If I hacked again, not only would it put a bad reputation on the staff team for choosing me, but it would also worsen the trust the players have with the staff team. I don't want either things to happen, so with that said, I have promised to abide by the gameplay rules. (These punishments were over a year ago.)

What are some hobbies, activities or achievements you have outside of Minecraft? I love to explore other games like Minecraft, but many have left me unpleased. Minecraft has this quality of allowing you to create your own content, while many other games, like Fortnite, SlimeRancher, Or Valorant keeps you following one direction. I choose to be a creator, not a consumer, which is why I have low interest for servers like Hypixel or Wynncraft (which I still do Idolize) and keeps me on Minehut. Some achievements would be creating my own CSS, HTML Website, or creating my own Arduino liquid crystal display device. I am currently learning more about Skript, and diving into some Python as well. I have many enjoyable hobbies like art, music, and technology. I play a wide number of instruments and listen to Spotify all the time while playing games. Thanks to my school, I have access to professional tools, like Adobe Creative Cloud and am currently learning how to use After Effects, Premier Pro, and Illustrator from tutorial videos. I have taken animation and Minecraft classes in the past for summer camps and have learned a variety of different things from those camps.

Situational Questions:

If the server is being botted, what would you do? The first step I would do is mute the chat (if I have permission. If I don't, I would get someone else to, or just start kicking bots, and logging names if I was a trainee.) Many times, however real people get confused with bots, and get banned for no reason. Bot's don't move, so I would set the ban message to something like "Banned For: Bot (/msg exceptwally To Appeal)", because if they aren't a bot, they wouldn't be able to read, and reply to the message. Now you may be thinking, "What if the bots do try to manually message me?". I would recommend the player join the PlexPvP discord to do a full ticket appeal.

When was a time you got into a disagreement with somebody? If you came to an agreement, how did you get there? If you didn't, why didn't you? I have gotten into an argument with one of the staff members (not going to say the name) about the time I was demoted for immaturity. In my case, I felt it was too harsh of a punishment, since I found that other staff have also said the same things. I tried to keep the conversation non toxic and state the facts, not my opinions, and afterwards, was able to understand the staff team's side of the story and smooth over any rough tensions between me and the staff member.

Tell us about a mistake you made in the past. What did you learn from this mistake and how did you deal with it? I tried to apply for an RPG server I admired once, but the owner denied my application because of my age. I didn't like this because I felt your age shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether I could or couldn't be a staff member. I questioned the server owner's opinion, and because of that not only did it get me banned but I lost an opportunity on a friend and a mentor. I learned from this that I need to respect people's decisions, and not argue with someone if my application is rejected. (If you are wondering how this is different from the time I got into a disagreement with a plex staff about my demotion, I asked the plex staff member just what happened and why. Here I got a little toxic about it but I learned from it.)

If a staff members account was hacked, what would you do? If I had the perms, I would kick them out of the role, so the hacker didn't have access to changing, or griefing, the server. Afterwards, I would report the issue to the staff and the owner of the account, making sure they are included on the actions I took. If I didn't have the permissions, I would contact any and every staff that does have the permissions, (Developers, admins, owners) To resolve the conflict and conceal as much damage as possible.

You see a player claiming he was false banned on another server. He begins to talk about botting Plex. How do you react? I would discourage the player from doing such actions, and remind him that further bot threats could result in a mute or possibly even a ban if there is enough evidence that it is being planned. I would direct him towards the Plex tickets to get his false ban resolve, and explain that if they denied you, that decision is final, and shouldn't warrant a bot attack.

There is a player constantly saying bad things about the staff team, but they aren't technically breaking any rules? What do you do? Even though this action isn't punishable, if further problems are caused, this player could get warned or muted for community disruption. I would recommend that the player takes their concerns to a staff manager or an owner (if the managers are the problem). I wouldn't encourage them to make a ticket about the situation as most community team staff members can access these tickets.

A player, who claims to be friends with staff, is messaging you saying he will tell his friends that you are abusing your permissions if you punish them. What do you do in this situation? There isn't much for me to do in this situation. If the player is caught cheating, I would punish them accordingly, and hopefully the staff member the rule-breaker is friends with has enough self integrity to make choices for the server and not for their friends. If this isn't the case, I will just contact higher authority with sufficient evidence.

A player messages you with your personal information. He threatens to leak it if you don't un-punish them. How would you react in this situation? I will remind them that doxxing players and staff is against the rules, and will result in a permanent mute/ban in all platforms of the community. The leaked information will hopefully be taken down, and there isn't much I can do if the person starts DMing others. I will just have to be more careful about who I trust with my information.

Anything else you would like to tell us? Hopefully the saying "third time's a charm" is actually true...

Edited by WallyTube
Revisions

Hello, WallyTube!

Thanks for putting your efforts forward to apply for PlexPvP. I'm sure you would be happy to know that me and the management team have decided to accept your application. Please message me on discord for further insights on what to do next regarding your application. My discord is lotix#0008.

Congratulations!

n42J3gF.png

• lotix locked this topic