My server's name is blocked in chat (freeop1337)

EnderEyeGames

The system that has been put in place to prevent players from falsely advertising servers as having "free op" also blocks the phrase in server names when using /ad. This is clearly not a desired effect; a server name with "freeop" in it should indicate that the server does indeed provide free op. In addition, the phrase "free op" and permutations of it are blocked in private messages and apparently any command except /join that goes directly through Minehut itself (as opposed to a player server).

FreeOp1337 may be unable to continue operation with this hastily implemented block, as having free op with certain restrictions is the premise of the server and a main point when advertising.

A possible solution would be only blocking the phrase "free op" when the phrase "/join (any server that does not have 'free op' in its MOTD)" also appears in the message.

EDIT 2-11-21 8:10PM CST: It's important to note that FreeOp1337 is not at all a new server. It has been around for at least several months and is one of the few Free OP servers on Minehut which have lasted longer than a month or so.

Edited by EnderEyeGames

Change the server name? Put a number in between Free and Op. Also are you the person who made the red abuse shulker? Your signs are still in there all across minehut xd

Edited by ServerCrasher

What is the largest free mh server you've seen?

16/5/21 - 53 was reached

8 hours ago, ServerCrasher said:

Change the server name? Put a number in between Free and Op. Also are you the person who made the red abuse shulker? Your signs are still in there all across minehut xd

It is kinda backwards to think that because the term "free op" was arbitrarily banned, I should have to change the name of a server that had that name for months. The ban on this phrase had the intent of keeping players from falsely advertising normal servers as "free op" to make people spam those servers. In theory, this is a good thing to do, since not everyone wants to implement a Skript that automatically kicks players who ask for op on a normal server. However, it also essentially kills servers that are legitimately free op servers. There is currently no way to opt out of being "protected" against being free-op-spammed. Despite my server having "free op" in its name and MOTD, Minehut makes no distinction between this and a player advertising a server as free op. That's the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 9:05 PM, EnderEyeGames said:

The system that has been put in place to prevent players from falsely advertising servers as having "free op" also blocks the phrase in server names when using /ad. This is clearly not a desired effect; a server name with "freeop" in it should indicate that the server does indeed provide free op. In addition, the phrase "free op" and permutations of it are blocked in private messages and apparently any command except /join that goes directly through Minehut itself (as opposed to a player server).

FreeOp1337 may be unable to continue operation with this hastily implemented block, as having free op with certain restrictions is the premise of the server and a main point when advertising.

A possible solution would be only blocking the phrase "free op" when the phrase "/join (any server that does not have 'free op' in its MOTD)" also appears in the message.

EDIT 2-11-21 8:10PM CST: It's important to note that FreeOp1337 is not at all a new server. It has been around for at least several months and is one of the few Free OP servers on Minehut which have lasted longer than a month or so.

Usually something like this is blocked to prevent encouraging bad behavior, I think.
"Free Op"

Edited by tigero9

Default - 5/10/2017 - 8/1/2018
[VIP] - 8/1/2018 - 11/25/2020
[HELPER] - 11/25/2020 - 3/8/2021
[MOD] - 3/8/2021 - 5/17/2021
[<3] 5/17/2021 - Now

Former Minehut Moderator.

3 hours ago, tigero9 said:

Usually something like this is blocked to prevent encouraging bad behavior, I think.
"Free Op"

Yes, I recognize that the purpose of this is to prevent people from advertising servers that are not free OP as being free OP to troll them. However, actual free op servers are also blocked as an unintentional side effect, not to mention that people will always find new ways to troll servers. It is especially strange that the word "freeop" being in a server name in /ad causes it to be blocked, since a server that is named "freeop" most likely does actually give free OP.

I did change the server name to FreeRoot1, a reference to the root user on a *nix system, since this clearly isn't going to be fixed anytime soon.