is minehut safe

Kryperis

8 hours ago, Kryperis said:

my friend wants to join my server but he thinks it can track the ip address so maybe you can tell me if its safe?

Minehut gives a fake IP for all clients for all player servers, I haven't been made aware of any way to bypass this otherwises it would be a data protection nightmare.

Even if IPs were to be exposed, only Minehut staff will be able to view them.

So, short answer yes but only some people have access to view the actual IP, like most companies and websites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm just a known player who been playing since the 24 July 2019.

Please don't DM me for support, go here (if you don't mind waiting) or join Minehut's Discord (which is more active) if you need assistance.

On 1/28/2021 at 10:02 AM, Houlton said:

Minehut gives a fake IP for all clients for all player servers, I haven't been made aware of any way to bypass this otherwises it would be a data protection nightmare.

Even if IPs were to be exposed, only Minehut staff will be able to view them.

So, short answer yes but only some people have access to view the actual IP, like most companies and websites.

This. But even if someone got your ip it's not likely they would do anything with it. It takes a skilled hacker and a myriad of specialized programs to do anything with someone's ip. So yeah minehut is safe, probably more safe than going to a website or joining some random minecraft server. I must ask, does minecraft itself give you a fake ip or no?

17 minutes ago, frankthetank said:

This. But even if someone got your ip it's not likely they would do anything with it. It takes a skilled hacker and a myriad of specialized programs to do anything with someone's ip. So yeah minehut is safe, probably more safe than going to a website or joining some random minecraft server. I must ask, does minecraft itself give you a fake ip or no?

Minecraft itself doesn't give a fake IP so Minehut has to do it.

Please don't DM me for support, go here (if you don't mind waiting) or join Minehut's Discord (which is more active) if you need assistance.

The IP you use on minehut is not your actual IP, all IPs on minehut are masked so no one can use commands like /seen to get your actual IP address. Minehut kind of gives all their users a VPN while they are on minehut

Default: Feb 6 2018

VIP: April 14 2019

Jr. Mod: September 12 2020

Mod: Jan 11 2021

Am a person

Hello

image.png.bd769c496f267e5b4b56b5b53145033f.png

On 1/28/2021 at 4:21 AM, Kryperis said:

my friend wants to join my server but he thinks it can track the ip address so maybe you can tell me if its safe?

Minehut is actually EXTREMELY safe they spoof your IP with some server magic so even if someone was to get "your ip" it would just lead back to minehuts server. Also players do not have access to server console so they cannot do that. Also /whois and other similar commands are disabled

• Like 2

2020-12-04-23-49-55_1.gif.3724f1a829a773

On 2/3/2021 at 6:40 AM, Reassembly said:

The IP you use on minehut is not your actual IP, all IPs on minehut are masked so no one can use commands like /seen to get your actual IP address. Minehut kind of gives all their users a VPN while they are on minehut

Does that mean people can still connect on a alt if they are ip banned?

IGN: LordUltron    Discord: ThunderStorm#6354

-------------------------------------------------------------image.png.4c4c27822b59b56f6996b43655338072.png

-------------------------------------------------------------

11 minutes ago, ThunderStorm said:

Not 100% sure on this so don't quote me, but I think every user gets a different IP they are not all on one IP address.

• Like 1

This is a pretty common misconception people get, which is why it's pretty important to know how ip addresses work. While yes, an IP address can be used to attack people with fake traffic, it's really not something you should be afraid of (and if you are, you should be using a vpn). If you are being threatened by someone claiming to have your IP, you really shouldn't feel threatened because 95% of the time it's a child / wannabe hacker feeling powerful because they know how to use a terminal.

Your IP is a unique identifier specific to your TCP/IP network, I wont go into too many complicated concepts, in a nutshell the way you browse the internet or receive feedback from search results is by packets being sent over the TCP protocol with your ip address, the receiver's ip and the data/payload. Because of this, the receiving end can see your IP (for example a website you're interacting with), and you can see theirs.

What can you do with someone's ip? Well, while nobody would want to go through the effort to hack the average person, theoretically if they wanted to, they could attempt to get into your machine or router by bruteforcing ports or various other methods but your computer's firewall, router and isp usually block all these sorts of exploits. (Keep in mind hacking into a computer from just an IP is in no way a simple task). They can also track your geographical location usually to the city or nearby city of your ISP provider, but unless you live in a rural area where you can be narrowed down easily, you're basically safe. Other than that, you can also experience scriptkiddies trying to 'dos' you offline by sending a lot of traffic to your network, however it rarely ever happens and in the case it does, you could contact your ISP and get it handled relatively easily.

When should you hide your ip?
When you want to hide your searching activity from your ISP, when you're trying to avoid ads from tracking you, when you want to protect your data from the government tracking you, and to get around geographical network blocks.

TLDR: You should not be worried about your IP on a minecraft server, but if you still are unsure, use a VPN.

• Like 1

First Joined: July 2015
VIP: January 2020
Jr.Mod: 1st April 2020
Mod: 16th July 2020

Info:

~ Skript Developer
~ Discord: @nicholxs#0001
~ Previous names: Nichxlxs, Deterno, iHaveSkills, Retrical

1 hour ago, ThunderStorm said:

54 minutes ago, Houlton said:

Not 100% sure on this so don't quote me, but I think every user gets a different IP they are not all on one IP address.

IIRC minehut masks each IP Address, not each player. If you log in on an alternate account, your masked IP will still be the same, and you will still be ip banned on a server.

• Like 2

First Joined: July 2015
VIP: January 2020
Jr.Mod: 1st April 2020
Mod: 16th July 2020

Info:

~ Skript Developer
~ Discord: @nicholxs#0001
~ Previous names: Nichxlxs, Deterno, iHaveSkills, Retrical

• 4 months later...