How to make a good minehut server

AexDEye9

Hello everyone! The name's Eye9, and I've known Minehut for about three and a half years now. over that time I've seen countless servers, some were great and stood the test of time, but the vast majority never lasted. this topic will cover almost all aspects of server-making, the common mistakes, how to succeed, and why servers fail. Without further ado, let us proceed with the first chapter:

What you need to start making a server:

1. Prior knowledge on plugins, the online panel, and server setup. We can all agree that this is a given, making a server is no easy task, and requires certain basic skills on essential plugins, and knowledge about the internal workings of servers. Failure to meet this requirement leads to time-wasting, and bad practises like account sharing.
  2. An idea, goal, and/or chosen server genre. Where there is demand, there must be supply. Minehut servers have continued to evolve over time but have kept a faintly reminiscent structure. many genres like Generator-based PvP, Mines, Duplication, and Farming, are unique to Minehut if not bound to it, and have gathered cult followings. Unique servers are few and far between, but if done correctly, they can achieve success. In any case, choose the genre of server you like most, and stick to it.
  3. A Paid server plan. It's a Cold, harsh, Pay to win world out there, But there is a way to circumvent that. The MH20 server plan costs 720 credits a month for 20 player slots and a substantial amount of RAM. Why is this important, you ask? Well, Minehut allows players to vote each day for a small credit bonus, 25 per day, to be exact. If you do the math, you will find that voting for 29 days in a row is enough to fuel the 30-day MH20 server plan (Since all accounts start with 0 credits, you may have to vote for a whole month before upgrading your free plan). It may be a grind, but it is necessary to prevent lag, and have a good chance of making it to the front page.

These three requirements are the foundations that your success as a server developer lays on, but there is a lot more I must cover. Now, onto the second chapter:

How NOT to make a server:

1. DO NOT give power to, or rely on inexperienced friends, or Minehut users. I can't stress this enough, Internal conflicts are one of the biggest reasons both new and old servers fail. You must only bring in those who you trust, to do their job right, and in good time. A well-written application form, and an eye for detail is the perfect barrier for entry, for hiring moderators or staff in other positions. If there is no one else you can trust, trust yourself. developing a server on your own is a tedious, but rewarding endeavour.
  2. DO NOT release a server before it's time. Developing a server alongside an endless flow of random Minehut users not only slows development, but also gives you a bad rep. Only speak out when you think your work is presentable, and always keep your server private during development!
  3. DO NOT engage in manual server management. An Autonomous server is an optimal server. Please refrain from actively resolving player issues if there is an autonomous solution. It will save you, and everybody else's time. if you decide to create a beta testing environment, then certain types of manual server management are acceptable, as long as such problems never happen again.

These are the three most prevalent mistakes surrounding bad Minehut servers, and must be avoided at all costs, but Removing the negatives isn't the only thing that must be done, enter chapter 3:

How To Present your server:

1. Use a clean chat format. A problem as old as time itself... The quality of your server's chat has a lasting effect on the player base's opinion of the rest of the server. A default and/or messy chat format Decreases player engagement, and is seen as "Lazy" amongst server developers. It's such a basic mistake, yet so many people forget it. A good chat format includes things like good name/prefix/suffix displays, Colouring, visibility, and user-friendliness.
  2. Create appealing builds. Also a given, A well-made spawn, buildings and/or pre-made map create a lasting impact on your player base's opinion. Many players simply do not have that building experience, myself included. To anyone who cannot build up to standard, attempt to build more simplistic structures, ones with consistency, and without detail. If you can find/afford a builder, then I highly recommend laying that extra work onto someone else.
  3. Promote your server effectively. I could have written an entire section about this. Effective server advertisement, and community building are two skills that can bring your server to life. You can advertise in the lobbies, using short & sweet points that appeal to your audience. You can advertise on these forums, Providing a much longer explanation, and a wide range of formatting. And finally, you can advertise on Minehut's official discord, in which emojis are a powerful way to convey a message. In terms of community building, you can create and tie a discord server, to your Minehut server. a massive portion of the Minehut player base uses discord, and can help you stay connected, even while offline. The other way to keep your server connected, is by creating a club on the forums, serving as a way to post announcements, and non-live conversations.

Conclusion:

This guide is currently incomplete, and I plan to add on to it whenever I see fit. if you think I missed something, feel free to reply below! Anyway, that's all I gotta say, Thank you for reading my guide, and happy server developing!

Edited by AexDEye9
fixed pages
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Hi.
~Joined: 02/02/2017
~VIP: 09/10/2020

Just now, ztimhirsch1 said:

Good tutorial, I would love it more if you recommended people to not make copies of other servers because thats all that people do.

There's nothing inherently wrong with copying other's servers, so long as you:

• Put your own spin on it
  • Make it high-quality, or even better than the original
  • Make it because you are a fan of the original, and NOT to capitalise on it. Pump and dump servers don't belong.
  • Thanks 1

Hi.

Just now, ztimhirsch1 said:

Almost all of the minehut servers are gen servers that use the same skript, same everything and just try to get money.

as a free-to-play player who cannot spend money on others' servers, nor spend money on making my own, I care little for money, so long as the server is of good quality, is easy to get into, and has a level of originality (mainly with the server's map, tbh) i am aware that alot of servers do not put in that effort, but that's life.

Hi.

This is a great little guide for new players. Well done!

• Thanks 1

In-Game Name - SilentF1ame

Discord - SilentFlame#9811

-------------------------------------------------------

[Default] 14 February 2017

[VIP] 21 September 2020

[Helper] 26 November 2020

[Moderator] 2 February 2021

[<3] 17 May 2021

-------------------------------------------------------

On 9/29/2020 at 10:39 PM, SilentFlame said:

This is a great little guide for new players. Well done!

thanks for the feedback!
i'm still trying to come up with more points, or little details to add to the existing points to cover all bases, got anything to suggest?

Hi.

On 10/4/2020 at 4:48 PM, Tresre said:

Good tutorial!

Thanks for the praise!

soon enough i'll find the time to list my 'sins of server development', a massive list of don't-do's and bad practices. been thinking about it ever since 2018, so it's about time i do that idea justice.

Hi.