Rule Updates

Trent

@BennyDoesStuff

"You would also need to consider the reason why people use Minehut over other server hosts. One of the reasons is because of how easy it is to communicate and advertise to other players to gain players. This is what makes Minehut extremely unique and is a huge reason to use us over competitor hosts. Making it more difficult to chat and advertise your server will make it harder for players to gain a community and lowers their incentive to use us over other hosts. "

However, people are becoming displeased with the fact A) Lobby is full of bots and toxicity to the point people are leaving faster than others join, so advertising is moot.

There are already quite a number of "veterans" of Minehut who left from what I have seen and heard, most of which got tired of the above 2.   

If players really wanted to advertise and communicate, then why are they also allowed to ruin the experience for others?

I mean, that's all it really is.    Just like last night, I went to the lobby and someone was spamming advertisements for their servers and it's not the first time I've seen it.   When I say spam, I mean literally every few seconds.

Then of course, there's the "cliques" that are immensely toxic and because the Moderators are afraid to deal with them, they chase those they dislike away.

I mean, at least implementing such a system as I suggested, would be something that doesn't need to be permanent, but it would also help filter out the above groups of both bots and toxic players.

I mean, what I'm seeing here isn't even a solution to it, people don't need to "swear" to harass someone.   Most of those people are old enough to know better for that matter, but again, they do it because they know the staff here won't really do anything about it.

I'll say again, all the rules are, are a Bandaid on a shotgun wound.   There is no real enforcement, as mods will not be on all the time, we've seen it.  If you want rules, you need staff on at all times, not just when it's convenient.     You also need to make sure that toxicity is punished harshly, and upon a certain number of times, removed from the community.   Not just "muted" temporarily and told to follow the rules, as they literally just start back up when no one is around to say anything about it.

I left Discord for multiple reasons and compared to the Forums, I've seen far more toxicity on the Lobby and Discord than I have here and that speaks volumes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BennyDoesStuff said:

You would also need to consider the reason why people use Minehut over other server hosts. One of the reasons is because of how easy it is to communicate and advertise to other players to gain players. This is what makes Minehut extremely unique and is a huge reason to use us over competitor hosts. Making it more difficult to chat and advertise your server will make it harder for players to gain a community and lowers their incentive to use us over other hosts.

The idea Dramomo gave is a great idea, however there is indeed the question about facilitating communication, which seems to be important for Minehut (it helps the server gain players). The situation at hand is not easy to deal with because Minehut wants to make their server kid friendly without compromising communication which helps with the player gains. Clearly no swearing in itself is not enough. Moderators have to punish accordingly at the right time while avoiding players frustration.

I want to mention that Minehut has done things in the past such as making monthly subscriptions instead of permanent ranks; making servers only be up a few hours a day unless owners voted or donated; ect, because of lack of money. Gradually over time, Minehut started to reimplement new stuff and removed all those restrictions, and it worked well. The strategy was removing content, get new players by votes and then readd content to make everyone happy. There are things I am sure Minehut can do to overcome the situation without just adding a no swear rule.

Isn't this exactly what a mute is? If someone breaks the rules, they're usually warned and then muted for a certain amount of time. If they continue to break the rules after their mute expired, the length of their mute is increased if they continue to break the rules. The more severe the punishment is, the longer they are banned from using /msg or from talking in the lobbies.

Its a mute with a twist my dude. After the mute you have to undergo the 1 week waiting again.

1. We do currently have rules that we enforce on player servers, though they're quite lenient and limited. The main rules being no reasons about bad topics (like the holocaust, etc), and no griefing other servers.
  2. This comes back to my point from above. Minehut doesn't have the full customization and there are some things that aren't possible on Minehut, and controlling the servers even more with rules would limit the control owners have over their server and would further reduce the customization and freedom people have on their player servers. We would lose customers and less people would be interested in using Minehut if we start to enforce rules such as no swearing on player servers.

Yea I know about the few rules Minehut has. Again I get it you guys don't want to lose customers and thats ok who does am I right? Thing is if you guys want Minehut to be kid friendly and player freedom then you need an approach that works. Ok lets forget Dramomo idea. The question is what can you guys do to achieve:

- Minehut SFW
- Player freedom

And start to work from there. I acknowledge there are things we as player don't know because we are not in the business but I think it is also true that the rules are not enough. More than just rules has to be done. Staff need to act if they are not acting.

Edited by Gaminger

Tbh all you need to know about me is that I was once the Drama King on minehut and I was a really good warzone player. That summarizes about 50% of what I did on minehut in the past lol.

::: Change: 29th of July, 2020 :::

aeogtoiata.jpg.0854bf2d5a0d9fc3fb96e95d37f9fc7e.jpg

::: Change: 10th of August, 2020 :::

I have permantently quit minehut. For the reason behind it, check this: https://forums.minehut.com/topic/19055-gamingers-official-farewell-post-forever/?tab=comments#comment-59176

Theres also my first post on this forum after I quit minehut's server (I started to only go to the minehut forums):
https://forums.minehut.com/topic/1932-gamingers-official-introductionpossible-farewell-to-minehut/?tab=comments#comment-7315

I still go to discord sometimes. Gaminger#4921
PIXELIFIC IF YOU'RE SEEING THIS YOU BETTER HAVE A GOOD EXPLANATION WHY YOU ONLY CAME BACK AFTER I LEFT!
And, as a final goodbye, and as I always wanted to say: SO LONG, NOOBS!

If you want rules, you need staff on at all times, not just when it's convenient.

We did just have applications opened up and one of the things we focused on is interviewing people who are from timezones we currently have no coverage in (we're currently interviewing and we're planning on promoting in 2 weeks or so). This is stuff that we are currently are working on improving and we completely understand. We also currently are working on a system to prevent bots and normal players from spamming in the chat so that the lobby chats aren't as bad. Another tool that staff help utilize is we have a Discord bot that automatically notifies us when someone might be breaking rules in the lobby chat and it also outputs the lobby chat right into a channel in our Discord server. If you do notice someone breaking rules and there's no staff on, there's a high chance they will be punished once we do hop on.

When you're referring to the lobby chats being chaotic, I honestly feel the main issue is really just the amount of people in 1 lobby chat. Minehut has all the lobby chats synced up, which means we have 8 lobbies all with the same chat. We have over 10k players on Minehut right now with around 400 people in the lobbies (all in 1 lobby chat). Even if there's a staff member online, it's quite difficult to moderate that many players and I feel like sometime in the near future, we should focus on working on a solution to handling that. I'm not sure what that solution could be, but it's something that will have to be discussed.

On 3/16/2020 at 9:59 AM, BennyDoesStuff said:

We did just have applications opened up and one of the things we focused on is interviewing people who are from timezones we currently have no coverage in (we're currently interviewing and we're planning on promoting in 2 weeks or so). This is stuff that we are currently are working on improving and we completely understand. We also currently are working on a system to prevent bots and normal players from spamming in the chat so that the lobby chats aren't as bad. Another tool that staff help utilize is we have a Discord bot that automatically notifies us when someone might be breaking rules in the lobby chat and it also outputs the lobby chat right into a channel in our Discord server. If you do notice someone breaking rules and there's no staff on, there's a high chance they will be punished once we do hop on.

When you're referring to the lobby chats being chaotic, I honestly feel the main issue is really just the amount of people in 1 lobby chat. Minehut has all the lobby chats synced up, which means we have 8 lobbies all with the same chat. We have over 10k players on Minehut right now with around 400 people in the lobbies (all in 1 lobby chat). Even if there's a staff member online, it's quite difficult to moderate that many players and I feel like sometime in the near future, we should focus on working on a solution to handling that. I'm not sure what that solution could be, but it's something that will have to be discussed.

That doesn't mean they'll be on at all times.

As someone who has been an Admin and above for multiple communities, a lot of "staff" were only on when it was convenient for them, meaning, they were only on when someone of Sr. Mod or above was on to look "good and active".  They were not on or present any other time, even though they said they would be.   They deliberately went against what was arranged and did their own thing.

This has happened on more than one occasion and in more than 1 community I have been a part of.

Saying you had them open for time zones you don't have, isn't enough.   Especially considering human beings are both deceitful and greedy by nature.

That all said, to also make a point of the "Open chat policy" with Minehut, you honestly don't need chatting in the Minehut lobby.  They can use discord and the forums just fine.   Why not add a chat feature for the forums as well?  I mean, I've pretty much stopped logging entirely because while waiting for my server, I dislike the toxicity and the spam I see.   No point with saves down and all the toxicity and lobby spam.  There are other alternatives to allow free-chat, but until you get the bots and the toxicity down, there is no real solution for it on the Lobby.

Edited by Dramomo

20 hours ago, Dramomo said:

That all said, to also make a point of the "Open chat policy" with Minehut, you honestly don't need chatting in the Minehut lobby.  They can use discord and the forums just fine.   Why not add a chat feature for the forums as well?  I mean, I've pretty much stopped logging entirely because while waiting for my server, I dislike the toxicity and the spam I see.   No point with saves down and all the toxicity and lobby spam.  There are other alternatives to allow free-chat, but until you get the bots and the toxicity down, there is no real solution for it on the Lobby.

I find interesting everything you said prior to this, specially the staff joining when admins are on.

There is something you need understand which is no chat on minehut lobby -> less players joining. People wont be able to advertise their player servers and some newbies wont know where to ask except in the lobby. Minehut wants to reduce toxicity without compromising chat.

Tbh all you need to know about me is that I was once the Drama King on minehut and I was a really good warzone player. That summarizes about 50% of what I did on minehut in the past lol.

::: Change: 29th of July, 2020 :::

aeogtoiata.jpg.0854bf2d5a0d9fc3fb96e95d37f9fc7e.jpg

::: Change: 10th of August, 2020 :::

I have permantently quit minehut. For the reason behind it, check this: https://forums.minehut.com/topic/19055-gamingers-official-farewell-post-forever/?tab=comments#comment-59176

Theres also my first post on this forum after I quit minehut's server (I started to only go to the minehut forums):
https://forums.minehut.com/topic/1932-gamingers-official-introductionpossible-farewell-to-minehut/?tab=comments#comment-7315

I still go to discord sometimes. Gaminger#4921
PIXELIFIC IF YOU'RE SEEING THIS YOU BETTER HAVE A GOOD EXPLANATION WHY YOU ONLY CAME BACK AFTER I LEFT!
And, as a final goodbye, and as I always wanted to say: SO LONG, NOOBS!